Scientific Name : Acacia catechu
Common Name: Karingali
- The tree’s seeds are a good source of protein.
- The extract of the plant called catechu is used to treat sore throats and diarrhea.
- In Ayurveda, plant pacifies vitiated pitta, kapha, skin diseases, cough, pruritus, and obesity.
- Useful in tooth ache, increases the strength of teeth.
Useful Parts : Bark, Heartwood,
Scientific Name: Acorus calamus
Common Name: Vayambu
- It is widely employed in modern herbal medicine as an aromatic stimulant and mild tonic. The root has been used as a rejuvenator for the brain and nervous system and as a remedy for digestive disorders.
- It is used internally in the treatment of digestive complaints, bronchitis, sinusitis etc.
- In Ayurveda, plant pacifies vitiated vata, kapha, insomnia, insanity,cough, inflammation, arthritis, kidney diseases, hemorrhoids, skin diseases and general debility.
Useful Parts: Underground rhizomes.
Scientific Name: Adathoda beddomei
Common Name: Adalodakam
- The extraction of leaf is a good medicine for Asthma and cough.
- It is a good medicine to stop internal and external bleedings like bleeding gums, piles and peptic ulcers.
- According to Ayurveda, it is a good ingredient in decoctions for all types of fever due to kapha and pitta doshas.
- It is expectorant, antispasmodic and good blood purifier.
- It speeds up the child birth.
Useful Part: Whole plant.
Scientific Name: Aegle marmelos
Common Name: Koovalam
- The tree is one of the most useful medicinal plants of India.
- All parts of this tree-stem, bark, root, leaves and fruit at all stages of maturity have medicinal virtues and have been used as medicine for a long time.
- The fruit is aromatic, cooling and laxative.
- It arrests secretion or bleeding.
- The unripe or half-ripe fruit is good for digestion. It is useful in preventing or curing scurvy.
- It also strengthens the stomach and promotes its action.
- In Ayurveda, plant pacifies vitiated kapha, vata, body pain, poison, diarrhea, dysentery, vomiting, and intermittent fever.
- Pulp of unripe fruit is constipating whereas that of ripened fruit is laxative.
- Leaves cure diabetes, cough, inflammation and asthma.
Useful Parts: Leaves, Root, Fruits
Scientific Name: Alpinia galangal
Common Name: Kolinji
- It is used against rheumatism, bronchial catarrh, bad breath and ulcers whooping colds in children, throat infections, to control incontinence and fever.
- It is a stimulating aromatic and has been successfully employed to aid the digestive process, preventing fermentation and removing flatus.
- It is useful in case of dyspepsia, preventing vomiting or sickness of the stomach and facilitating digestion.
- It may be used in all cases in which a stimulating aromatic is indicated.
- It also possesses tonic and antibacterial qualities and is used for these properties in veterinary and homeopathic medicine.
Useful Parts: Roots
Scientific Name: Aphanamixis polystachya
Common Name: Chemmaram
- The plant specially the bark is used as astringent and applied on swelling after a fall.
- It is also used in spleen, liver diseases, tumour and abdominal complaints.
- Seed-oil is used in rheumatism.
- In recent times anti carcinogenic ingredients are found from this plant.